Monday 6 May 2013

Before The Minga

Everything has a beginnning and an end. For some things, their beginnings have yet to come, and others their ends have long past. The Minga is in a state of incubation, we can see from outside the growth beginning to take place, but like a pregnancy the true magic happens where no one can see. Since purchasing the building in Aug. 2012, 146 Queen Street has been stripped down and is currently being rebuilt from the ground up inside taking the building's architectural past with The Minga into Dunnville's future. Here is a link to The Minga's Facebook page which features a album of before pictures. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.492749177458624.1073741829.488502064550002&type=1&l=4c91beeec6 We won't give away the new interior look - you'll just have to come give us a visit once we are open. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the previous owner of the building had meant to host a water treatment business which never opened. However prior to that 146 Queen Street was the original home of Super Video Centre now located on Broad Street. I have so many memories as a preteen going into pick movies on rainy nights, or renting N64 consoles to play - even on New Years Eve 2001 - we rented Yoshi's World and played all night. Prior to that, I'm not quite sure what existed on the first floor, but I sure do have a lot of early memories of the second floor - it was the original home of Dominic's (sp?) Youth Impact Centre. I spent many evenings with my older cousin, my younger sister and my dad playing air hockey, ping pong, pool and the odd arcade game. Dad never could beat Dom in a game of ping pong. That's the extent of my historical knowledge of the building, but before the doors open, I am determined to find out the early history leading up to my fond childhood memories. I look forward to 146 Queen Street's new chapter and invite you all to be a part, because after all Minga means together.

1 comment: